ENUMERATE 5 (FIVE) MAINTENANCE PROCESSES OF A BATTERY. (5 marks)
- Batteries should be kept neat and clean to increase the life of the battery.
- Dirt or other foreign materials should not be allowed to be accumulated in the cells, as it results into heavy discharge, on account of short circuit.
- Connector should be coated with petroleum jelly or Vaseline to increase the life.
- Alkaline batteries should not be installed in the room along with head acid battery to avoid short circuit.
- Topping to the electrolyte level should be done with distilled water for proper reaction.
- Terminal voltages should not be allowed below the minimum voltage specified by the manufacturer to increase the life of the battery efficiently.
MENTION THREE (3) CHANGES THAT TAKES PLACE DURING CHARGING OF BATTERY.
- Positive plates become dark brown in colour and negative plates become grey.
- Specific gravity of sulphuric acid increased from 1.8 to 2.3V
- Voltage of each cell rises from 1.8 to 2.3V
- Energy is absorbed in the cell
]5. Cell delivers gazing when the charging is completed
LIST FOUR (4) ADVANTAGES OF A TRANSFORMER. (4 MARKS)
- It’s one of the economical devices to transmit electrical power at high voltage and current. Can also be reduced at the designed voltages when required.
- Its efficiency is very high in comparison to other electrical machine.
- It can be operated very easily with little operation.
- It maintenance cost is less, in comparison to other electrical machineries.
- Number of tappings can be taken out from the secondary windings for voltage in only one transformer, which is used for transistor and low voltage appliances.
- It can be taken from place to place very easily and it’s even used in house industry.
- This can be designed for very high voltages, as there is much space to insulate winding.
MENTION SIX  STEPS INVOLVED IN SOLDERING TECHNIQUES
- Tin the strands
- Do not put the solder directly on the soldering iron.
- Remove or withraw the solder or iron
- Don’t move the parts until solder have been cooled or set.
- Use only enough solder to flow over all surfaces (not too much or too little)
- Use sufficiently heated up soldering iron bit, to heat the mechanical connection on side. While applying the solder From the other side
- Strip the insulation or coating from the ends of the wire to be soldered ( peel the sheath to expose the strands)
- Make a strong mechanical connection to ensure good electrical flow, after solder have been placed on it (twist the strands? [6 marks