USE OF ENGLISH GNS 212 | Question and answers for ND2 polytechnic students
USE OF ENGLISH GNS 212
Question and answers.
- The grammatical name of units in language is known as morphemes
- Clauses introduce by words like although, even, though e.t.c are describe as dependent clause
- A simple sentence expresses a single complete thought with only one main Verb.
- functions and structure are the parameters for classifying English sentences.
5.complex sentence is a sentence that is made up of one main clause and one or more subordinate clauses.
- The structural unit above the rank of the phrase but below that of a sentence is called as
- A word with multiple meanings is called homonyms
- Homonyms are words that are alike in written form as well as in pronunciation but different in meaning.
- ANTONYMS is a word of opposite meaning while SYNONYMS is a word of the same meaning.
Use the following words (No. 10_13)connotatively in sentence :
NOTE: Connotative sentences are figurative sentences that have more than a dictionary meaning [i.e they have deep meanings, more like idioms.]
- Boy = Kunle fighting with his wife made me to realize that he’s still a boy and far from maturity.
- Death = Baba seun business have been experiencing death for the past two years now.
- Knock = I’m knocking on heavens door to rain down blessing on me by praying.
- Sick = I’m sick of you dayo.
- The choice of suitable words in a literary word is called diction
- The period of waiting to know the next event in a play is a state of suspence
- In a literary work flashback is a device used in recollecting the past.
- Cliches are expression that have been so often used and widely quoted that they have become familiar.
Identify the structural type of the following sentences (18-22)
- Tunde, the only male child of the family, loves kikelomo, that popular prostitute.
The answer is COMPOUND COMPLEX because it consist of two main clauses and one
- That he is a tyrant is known by everyone.
It’s a SIMPLE SENTENCE because it contains only one main clause
- Think fast and act right whenever you are in power.
It’s a COMPOUND SENTENCE because it contains two main clause
- The woman does not intend to live alone with her children but the husband hate seeing her
It’s a COMPLEX SENTENCE because it contains only one main clause and one subordinate
- Men who run after women stand the risk of contracting venereal diseases.
Let’s know your answers in the comments below
Identify the grammatical names and function of the underlined parts in the following sentences
- The old, vibrant, energetic president is out of the country.
- she left after she had gotten her desire.
- If you like peace you will avoid crises.
- That my head of unit is jovial is not debatable.
SECTION B: ESSAYS
Write an essay of not more than two pages on any one of the following:
(I) 2016 UTME Scandal in Nigeria: cancellation of result as a necessary remedy?
(ii) My experience at the coronation of the new olubadan of Ibadan.
(iii) The last student unrest on our campus: A lesson for all.